Church of Our Lady of Good Help

Jan Pieter van Baurscheit de Oude (1669-1728)

Main Altar
Hoofdaltaar van Jan Pieter Baurscheit de Oude

To admire swirling baroque marble and gold leaf, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe van Goede Bijstandkerk in Brussels is the place to be. Jan Pieter van Baurscheit the Elder made the main altar into a particularly striking feature. God gives his blessing beneath a radiant sun surrounded by many little cherubs.

Hoofdaltaar van Jan Pieter Baurscheit de Oude

Church of Our Lady of Good Help

The baroque Church of Our Lady of Good Help (Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Goede Bijstandkerk) is located in a neighbourhood that once housed a guesthouse for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. They have worshipped a miraculous statue of Mary here since 1625. The shortened church nave joins a circular construction below a hexagonal dome. The emblem of Governor Charles Alexander of Lorraine can be seen above the door. Upon entering, the eighteenth century white marble holy water fonts with cherub heads by the 17th century Flemish artist Gabriel Grupello immediately catch your attention.

Main Altar

The main altar, partly consisting of marble and partly of painted wood, dates back to 1705. It was created using a drawing by the Antwerp sculptor Jan Pieter van Baurscheit the Elder. Medallions visible on both sides are attributed to the Brussels sculptor Gilles-Lambert Godecharle. They depict Joachim and Saint Anne, Mary’s parents.


Practical information


Kolenmarkt 89
1000 Brussel
View directions

Opening hours

  • Open Monday to Saturday from 09.00 to 17.00 hrs.

  • Open Sunday from 09.00 to 11.00 hrs and 12.00 to 17.00hrs.


Easy access for people with disabilities.

Good to know

  • Admission: free

Other sites nearby

Onze-Lieve-Vrouw ter Zege op de Zavel in Brussel
The majestic Our Lady of Victory at the Sablon is located on the Grote Zavel square at the heart of the Brussels antiques district. It is a veritable treasure.