On the opposite side is Van Dyck’s Christ on the Cross, which originates from the Capuchin Monastery. It has been on display in the church since 1816 because the government of Louis XVII decided to return several stolen artworks following the French occupation. The Capuchin Monastery had already been abolished at that time, which is why the artwork was transferred to the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk. Typical of Van Dyck are the intensely emotional faces. A friar at the bottom of the cross, with dark robe and pointed hood (or cappuccio in Italian), serves as a reminder of the Capuchin Monastery. The painting will be restored in situ in Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk in the autumn of 2024.